"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it." H.L. Menken

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Acton... the future of Billings bouldering?

My friend Conner Mcgillvray (i.e. Gilves) tipped me off to an awesome recreation area outside Billings that he'd recently checked out. He' not a climber, but told me that Acton Recreation area, twenty minutes North of Billings, might have some potential. So with nothing else to do on an unseasonably warm day, I took the family dog out for a hike. Although I didn't bring my shoes or crashpad, I did spend an extended period of time fondling holds, like a crazy person. While, the quality of the sandstone is hardly world class, it was undeniably better than the majority of the rock around billings. Plus its all on public land... and its featured. While I will withhold real judgement on the area's potential for climbing, I will say that it is probably the coolest public recreation area I've visited in the greater Billings area. Unfortunately, my camera was out of batteries so these pics were snagged off the internet. They don't really show the rock, but they do depict the landscape. I plan to return and oogle the rock properly shortly.








No comments:

Post a Comment