"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it." H.L. Menken

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Haggin through the hellfire

I've had my eye on Mt. Haggin,  more or less, the entire time I've been living in Butte. It dominates the skyline to the west, and is a constant distraction out the library window. Stuck in town for the weekend due to an unfortunately timed chem test, I decided that Saturday would be my one day of redemption. ...Which means I woke up hungover to a post-apocalyptic smokey hell-scape, and had to stop for coffee, an egg McMuffin, and lunch supplies. This resulted in a departure from my vehicle at approximately 10:30, which is generally considered an alpine start by Buttian standards. 

The peak itself was actually pretty cool. 14 miles with, according to Summitpost, with over 5,000 feet of elevation gain. The hike literally begins in Anaconda (you park in a church parking lot. Amen!) and follows an old road to the damned Hearst lake, the town's water supply.  

 Norma, leading the way through the aspens just above town.


 An old brick structure nestled below Hearst lake.


 Hearst and its damn. The Larches are already turning gold up high!!!


 After reaching Hearst the hike involved a bushwack to a higher southern cirque, which allegedly was home to a smaller lake. When I got up there she was bone dry.

From the cirque the route involved traveling up the prominent NE gully to gain the summit ridge. Some hardy oldtimer made his miners cabin directly along my path.


The true summit as seen from the ridge.  

 Norma investigating the world's largest summit cairn. 


Looking towards Evans and Howe peaks through the haze. 


 Pika!



 Red sky on the hike out. 

Hopefully West Goat peak is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment