"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it." H.L. Menken

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Crow peak fail fest.

With the prospect of two weeks locked in the library ahead of me (god damn finals), I decided I was going to spend saturday in the mountains by hell or high water. I've had my eye on doing a snowshoe up Crow Peak, the high point of the Elkhorns for some time, and figured an early december solo mission would be a good send off before a descent into academic hell. 10 degrees and 30 mph swirling winds, however, ensured that this respite would make 5 hour chem study sessions sound cozy. Sure I'd read the weather report.... but sometimes its worth just trying to get out.

While the majority of the blame goes to myself... I'd like to extend a little of it to Cedron James, author of the new book, "Peakbagging Montana: A guide to Montana's major peaks." This book is worthwhile for preliminary ideas for a trip, but should not, I repeat not, be counted on for route info on the ascent. See the above photo of my jaunt through ankle-break-alley, the recommended route for marginal snow conditions for a reference.

I plan on doing some ski touring in the area later in the season. Or perhaps just relocating to the badass ghost town of Elkhorn. Wish I'd snapped a picture, but my hands were too cold to operate the camera.

2 comments:

  1. i wanna seepictures of elkhorn in wintertime. and did you take that picture at the top of the blog?! bad.ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you went to elkhorn with stupak right? yessir i did take that pic. n-fork of the flathead north of polebridge last spring.

    ReplyDelete