"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it." H.L. Menken

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Butte-opia? Virgin boulders abound!

Old habits die hard. After enduring the world's longest winter in Red Lodge, then spending the my summer in choss-monster country (Glacier), I haven't really been out climbing much. In fact, I've only been bouldering a couple of times in the last 6 months, and I am currently as weak as 7 year-old girl. But my favorite part of climbing (aside from drinking beer and heckling from the luxury of a crash pad) has always been tramping around through the forest, looking for new lines. That's why I like MT climbing so much.

Now that I've moved to Butte, I've decided weakness be damned. Besides locking myself in the library and dodging meth-heads, what else is there to do?

The first couple of times I went out scouting, I generally left bummed. It seemed to be one featureless fin after another. But recently I stumbled upon some excellence. I'm sure a couple of these have been spotted before, but I don't think many (if any at all) have been climbed.

I believe all these lines go, and that most of them are currently to hard for my ass. With that said, I didn't even lace up my shoes. Let me know if any of these boulders have been climbed, or if your interested in getting your FA on.



Perhaps the most difficult looking line I peeped. While it may appear to be blank, it actually has a variety of bomber (not sharp) crimps, and good sit start. What I 'm guessing is the crux involves finger stacking in the drill seem. Note my backpack for size comparison. I suspect someboy has looked at this before.


A close up on one of those crimps.


Big ol' easily accessible block.


Close up on its big slopey arete.


Big boy. 20' or more, complete with slopey huecos.


Steep line of crimpy seems. Looks burl.


Gigantor. Note the 6' tall sampling being dwarfed. I had to jump just to feel the starting holds.


Same block different view.


Bell of the ball. Contains perhaps the single coolest line I saw.


No batholith area would be complete without at least one rail traverse (or 8). Added bonus is the huck-for-the-lip finish.


Due to the poor photo quality I forgive you for thinking this is a crack, but its actually the world's longest jug.


Yet another rad looking boulder.


A steep saucer with features underneath? I was shocked too.


Close up of the excellent looking rail used to gain the lip.


Due to impending darkness and steep hiking I never made it to this cache. But boy do I want to.

Peace.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are climbing again Joe! I am getting my rear in gear for bouldering season as well. LCC beckons. The fruits of you reconnaissance look marvelous.
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. YA! omgomgomgomgomgomgomg put some chalk on dem and let the development begin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking finds! Lots of gems out there to be sure!

    ReplyDelete